[aur-general] TU without [community] maintaining?

Lex Rivera x-demon at x-demon.org
Wed Feb 3 13:15:53 EST 2010

I think it's wrong way. Some of packages just install old versions, they
can be adopted by users and updated easily. Take a look at helium, for
example. Fully working pkgbuild, only pkgver needs to be changed to get
it up-to-date.
Firstly we must take care about really obsolette packages. For example -
sim-im. SVN snapshop, even when we have normal SVN pkgbuild and normal
stable pkgbuild. So sim-im must be removed. And so on. When we finish
cleaning up obsoletes, we can start cleaning up orphans.
Here is my vision how this must work:
1. There is addittional button on pkgbuild's page - Report obsolete.
2. If user clicks this button, notify will be sent, for example, to
aur-mods maillist
3. Mod will remove this packages
4. Package must be moved to some sort of archive - there will always be
human mistakes. That archive can be cleaned, for example, every month.
Or not cleaned at all - pkgbuilds are pretty small :)
5. When user try to create new PKGBUILD with pkgname = name of
previously removed pkgbuild, maybe we must print some notice and link to
old pkgbuild. Old projects can be revived sometimes.