[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Python-3.x transition with python-2.7 update

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Tue Jul 6 04:19:47 EDT 2010

On 07/06/10 01:57, Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:
> Hello Allan,
> I know that I'm just a regular user but I'd like to express my opinion
> too. I think the transition should be done when most modules and
> applications support Python 3. I'd not be surprised if the transition
> of majority of modules would take several years. By that time there
> may be a way how to do a dual rename.

Hi Lukas,
Can you present a technical reason against doing the renaming now?
Because as far as I can see, Allan has worked out the kinks and it will
actually not harm you as a regular user at all...

(unless you write personal scripts in python that you want to work with
#!something on multiple distros? (then you probably want to run them in
python version 2) .. I'm not sure I can think of an easy way to do that;
maybe for each distro you use you could put a symlink in
/usr/local/bin/python2 for example.)

-Isaac