[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Python-3.x transition with python-2.7 update

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 04:51:10 EDT 2010

On 6 July 2010 10:19, Isaac Dupree <ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org> wrote:
> On 07/06/10 01:57, Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:
>>
>> Hello Allan,
>> I know that I'm just a regular user but I'd like to express my opinion
>> too. I think the transition should be done when most modules and
>> applications support Python 3. I'd not be surprised if the transition
>> of majority of modules would take several years. By that time there
>> may be a way how to do a dual rename.
>
> Hi Lukas,
> Can you present a technical reason against doing the renaming now? Because
> as far as I can see, Allan has worked out the kinks and it will actually not
> harm you as a regular user at all...
>
> (unless you write personal scripts in python that you want to work with
> #!something on multiple distros? (then you probably want to run them in
> python version 2) .. I'm not sure I can think of an easy way to do that;
> maybe for each distro you use you could put a symlink in
> /usr/local/bin/python2 for example.)
>
> -Isaac

Hi Isaac,
I don't write Python scripts but yeah, I think this is a real problem.
The other problem is that there are not many users of python 3 out
there.

In a more subjective way I think whenever something is set as default
it should be the one which has most users (in both terms of people and
software).

Lukas