[aur-general] Why is there no option to delete your own package in AUR yourself?

Michael Düll (akurei) mail at akurei.org
Wed Jul 14 16:54:46 EDT 2010

Hello fellow Archers!

I wonder why there's no option to delete your own package from AUR.

Some users pointed out, that there once was too much abusive behaviour. I
can't think of a way how this could be abused, if you are only allowed to
delete your _own_ uploaded packages, except one: If there's many users (and
OTHER packages from AUR that rely on that perticular package [eg bin32-wine
relies on lib32-libldap from AUR]), and you delete it, thus breaking
dependencies.
My proposal is: Allow people to delete their own AUR packages if a) No other
AUR package depends on it and b) if there's less than 10 people "using" it
(aurvote). This way it would be easy to delete a faulty package without first
asking on the list and it would hopefully encourage more people to try and put
PKGBUILDS on AUR.

akurei