[aur-general] Why is there no option to delete your own package in AUR yourself?

Dave diendien at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 17:05:46 EDT 2010

  On 07/14/2010 01:54 PM, Michael Düll (akurei) wrote:
> Hello fellow Archers!
>
> I wonder why there's no option to delete your own package from AUR.
>
> Some users pointed out, that there once was too much abusive behaviour. I
> can't think of a way how this could be abused, if you are only allowed to
> delete your _own_ uploaded packages, except one: If there's many users (and
> OTHER packages from AUR that rely on that perticular package [eg bin32-wine
> relies on lib32-libldap from AUR]), and you delete it, thus breaking
> dependencies.
> My proposal is: Allow people to delete their own AUR packages if a) No other
> AUR package depends on it and b) if there's less than 10 people "using" it
> (aurvote). This way it would be easy to delete a faulty package without first
> asking on the list and it would hopefully encourage more people to try and put
> PKGBUILDS on AUR.
>
> akurei

I think both problems continue to exist by allowing the owner to upload
an empty or even malicious pkgbuild. However, if letting the owner
delete their own package is still undesirable, one workaround would be
letting the owner disown the package. Deletes can happen with pruning
(probably another discussion) or by continuing to e-mail this list.

Dave