[aur-general] bin32-wine and related [WAS: trusted users business]

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Thu Jul 15 19:47:41 EDT 2010

 On 16.07.2010 01:38, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 02:25 +0300, Ionuț Bîru wrote:

>>> I second the bin32-wine thing =). For it to be useful though I think
>>> lib32-all-graphic-drivers need to be available?
>>>
>> no. only lib32-libgl and lib32-nvidia-utils, which already are in
>> community.
>>
>> lets stick in the future in $subject and start another thread if you
>> feel you need to add something about packaging :D
>>
> Your wish is my command.
>
> Okay now that I have your answer I understand my assumptions were
> mistaken, only the libgl/nvidia-utils packages are 'app-facing' in that
> sense.
>
> A nagging question that I've been having in the back of my mind, how
> similar is Arch's lib32 stuff with the multi-lib stuff other distros
> (random example Ubuntu since that's my previous experience) do. When I
> first started using Arch I set a chroot up for my
> wine/skype/google-earth on the understanding that lib32 would always be
> 'unofficial', but recently I've seen more lib32 packages making it to
> [community].
>
> Would lib32 make Arch multi-lib, then?

Arch doesn't have official multilib support yet which is why compiling
cross platform is such a pain in the ass.  We have a few littered lib32
packages to ease most of the pain but we don't even have an official
cross32-gcc. In Arch you can currently not have a true full multi lib
system easily.

Do we even want to change that? I don't know. multilib seems dirty to
many people. Personally, I consider lib32 stuff to be transitional on
the way to true 64bit and probably not too much effort should be wasted
for 32bit stuff. chroots do the job mostly fine.

I therefore encourage Ranguvar to package the remaining lib32 packages
for community and move bin32-wine in as well. Jan had a working
wine-wow64 earlier but it is a freak show.

-- Sven-Hendrik