[aur-general] Orphan Request

Hilton Medeiros medeiros.hilton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 08:18:30 EST 2010

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:08:45 +0800
Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/03/2010, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut at gmail.com> wrote:
> > sure but if we stole the build from the current maintainer if
> > wouldn't be right. that's why is better that he ask the current
> > maintainer about giving it to him.
>
> Yeah, there's no reason to interfere unless (1) the current maintainer
> doesn't want to give up the package for some reason or (2) he doesn't
> respond within a reasonable time.
>

> --
> GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

I disagree. I believe the developer should have priority and be given
the ownership as soon as possible. You don't have to wait the
maintainer kiss good bye e hug the build. It is just a build script.

There is no copyright lines, so it is not stealing. The author has
copyrights over the software and the name of the software!

Put yourself at his position, he is obviously ashamed of the quality of
the build and is willing to fix it and maintain. My opinion is that
this is ridiculous.

My suggestion is to just disown it, and put a comment line saying
"Disowned per request of the software owner". I doubt the maintainer
will cry over this.