[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Nov 16 15:02:19 CET 2010

Am Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:27:50 +0800
schrieb Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:

> I thought this idea of Heiko's was a great idea, myself. In a fit of
> inspiration, here's a suggestion. This would be placed after the last
> sentence of the 2nd paragraph in the 3-paragraph description.
>
> "This community involvement allows developers to focus on what's most
> important to them in the knowledge that the community will provide
> high quality packages for everything else."

Maybe there should be added that Arch Linux is only a distro from its
devs for its devs and not from the community for the community.

I wish you wouldn't add such a paragraph. Instead the ignorance of some
devs should be removed. That was the better way.

> And Heiko, I'm not sure why you're making a big fuss over these
> packages. Its not even much harder to work from the AUR. Comparisons
> to Gentoo are ridiculous. I've got 75 packages from the AUR
> currently, and I don't spend hours a day compiling. The longest
> package to compile is probably samba4 at 20 minutes, followed by the
> kernel at 10 minutes (optimized), everything else tops out at 1-2
> minutes. Go have a cup of coffee, and consider the difference to the
> hours and hours you'd have spent compiling world on Gentoo.

I already used Gentoo for 6 years. So I know what that compiling means.
That's why I was looking for a binary distro in the style of Gentoo.
That's why I came to Arch Linux 3 or 4 years ago.

And the more small packages need to be compiled from AUR the more time
it takes compiling them. Many a little makes a mickle.

My main problems are this mass cleanup and the ignorant responses I get
from some devs to such remarks or to some bug reports etc.

That's why I make such a fuss.

Heiko