[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 14:27:50 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 22:25 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 16/11/10 22:06, Heiko Baums wrote:
> > Otherwise you should write a big note on the homepage and/or the
> > download page that this distro is free but not meant to be used for the
> > public. "Feel free to use it but don't expect anything. This distro is
> > only meant to be used by us developers." Or something like this. Maybe
> > a bit exaggerated.
>
> Slightly exaggerated.  But perhaps we do need that to keep people from
> forming such unfounded ideas about their opinions counting towards
> anything around here.
>
> Allan

I thought this idea of Heiko's was a great idea, myself. In a fit of
inspiration, here's a suggestion. This would be placed after the last
sentence of the 2nd paragraph in the 3-paragraph description.

"This community involvement allows developers to focus on what's most
important to them in the knowledge that the community will provide high
quality packages for everything else."

Just a draft, doesn't really express everything yet. Should I open a
bug-report?

And Heiko, I'm not sure why you're making a big fuss over these
packages. Its not even much harder to work from the AUR. Comparisons to
Gentoo are ridiculous. I've got 75 packages from the AUR currently, and
I don't spend hours a day compiling. The longest package to compile is
probably samba4 at 20 minutes, followed by the kernel at 10 minutes
(optimized), everything else tops out at 1-2 minutes. Go have a cup of
coffee, and consider the difference to the hours and hours you'd have
spent compiling world on Gentoo.