[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Nov 16 19:57:41 CET 2010

Am Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:09:35 +0100
schrieb Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de>:

> But I expect from a developer that he doesn't remove popular packages
> inconsiderately from the repos. (Otherwise don't call Arch Linux a
> binary distro.) I expect from a developer that he uses his brain.
> Sorry for this wording.

The Devs provide a basic distro + _some_ binary packages.

We had a conclusion to provide a "core" repo that is known to be
working and could be the ground to build _yourself_ a system to fit your
needs.

Take the "extra" repo as an additional gift some of us like to provide.
It costs us a lot of time to maintain binary packages. Nobody is
responsible to keep them alive.

Packages come in and will fade out once a maintainer looses the
interest in it. After some time we can't make sure it's still in a good
shape and drop it from our official repo and leave it up to the
community. You will have to live with this.

-Andy