[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Kaiting Chen kaitocracy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 04:04:54 CET 2010

Before anyone gets any more worked up I wanted to point out that there are
only 27 Trusted Users and 32 Developers. In the official repository there
are around 4848 packages altogether. That averages out to 82.169 packages
per person which is kind of ridiculous considering the Developers have to
develop and the Trusted Users have other responsibilities as well.

So I think this binary -> source phenomenon is just the best that we can do
given how shorthanded we all are. I think the philosophy is that anyone can
adopt in [unsupported], and if no Developer or Trusted User will adopt a
binary package then we should at least give the concerned user a chance to
adopt it.

Honestly if it were up to me I would remove half of the packages from the
official repositories and stick them in the AUR because past 40 your
packages start to develop major Quantity over Quality issues and I don't
think that's what we're going for.

I think this would be a much more constructive conversation if we all
stopped complaining about the situation and started talking about how to
improve the AUR. --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/