[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Brad Fanella bradfanella at archlinux.us
Wed Nov 17 04:21:45 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before anyone gets any more worked up I wanted to point out that there are
> only 27 Trusted Users and 32 Developers. In the official repository there
> are around 4848 packages altogether. That averages out to 82.169 packages
> per person which is kind of ridiculous considering the Developers have to
> develop and the Trusted Users have other responsibilities as well.
>
> So I think this binary -> source phenomenon is just the best that we can do
> given how shorthanded we all are. I think the philosophy is that anyone can
> adopt in [unsupported], and if no Developer or Trusted User will adopt a
> binary package then we should at least give the concerned user a chance to
> adopt it.
>
> Honestly if it were up to me I would remove half of the packages from the
> official repositories and stick them in the AUR because past 40 your
> packages start to develop major Quantity over Quality issues and I don't
> think that's what we're going for.
>
> I think this would be a much more constructive conversation if we all
> stopped complaining about the situation and started talking about how to
> improve the AUR. --Kaiting.
>
> --
> Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

That's not a very good argument.

Sergej Pupykin: 1480 packages
Jan de Groot: 1094 packages
Andrea Scarpino: 809 packages

They all do an excellent job with maintaining a massive amount of
packages at one time. Therefore, it obviously can be done without the
"quantity over quality" issue that you speak of.

Regards,
Brad