[aur-general] AUR Improvement Thread

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Nov 17 21:53:54 CET 2010

On 11/17/10 14:32, Kaiting Chen wrote:

>> Thanks for thinking about AUR, tough I don't like most of your
>> proposals. ;-)
>>

> That's fine. That's why I asked. I like most of my proposals but I've been
> around long enough to realize that what I like and what other people like
> are usually different.
>
> I really would like to see some sort of integrated VCS system though. It's
> easy to tell what a new release in the official repositories contains by
> using the SVN interface. No such thing exists for the AUR.

+1.

In fact, +2 because the AUR consists of relatively untrusted PKGBUILDs,
so it should definitely be easier for AUR users to see the changes.

If there's anything I can do to help implement this, I can spend some
time on it.  (I have a few AUR packages,
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=idupree&SeB=m , and have used
ABS, but otherwise am not too familiar with how Arch's infrastructure is
set up currently.)

> Couple this with
> the fact that it's more trouble to build + install than just pacman -Syu,
> it's often difficult to determine whether or not one should update when an
> update is pushed to the AUR. --Kaiting.

AUR helpers help despite being unofficial.  I use `clyde -Syu --aur` and
it so far seemed to figure out everything except when packages needed
rebuilding due to things like .so bumps or python3 upgrade etc.

-Isaac