[aur-general] AUR Improvement Thread

Justin Davis jrcd83 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 00:44:47 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... I don't
> believe a centralized VCS is capable of this.

Just so you know, a centralized VCS like svn or cvs can do the same
thing. Just to reiterate, my personal preference is still git. I think
it will be best because of its fast and light-weight nature.

> LDAP makes everything so much more complicated! I avoid it whenever
>> possible.
>>

> That is nonsense. With LDAP support one could for example query the details
> of a package "$pkgname" using the command:
>
> curl "ldap://
> ldap.archlinux.org/ou=community,dc=archlinux,dc=org??one?(pkgname=$pkgname)"
>
> There's no way you can tell me that that's not awesome. --Kaiting.

Sure I suppose if the LDAP spontaneously configures itself and
populates itself with data that is just great. I was talking about
configuring LDAP, deploying LDAP, and populating it with data. That
sucks. Ever type LDIF by hand? Fun.

That's not very awesome to me. You can do the same thing with AUR's
RPC... without the fugly, esoteric LDAP syntax and without prior
knowledge of how the directory is structured:

curl "http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php?type=info&arg=$pkgname"

I don't think it would be worth the effort of the programmer to
convert the AUR to use LDAP as a storage backend to get features we
already have. However, using LDAP for a centralized
authentication/authorization server for the sites in the archlinux.org
domain? That would be sweet.

--
-Justin