[aur-general] AUR Improvement Thread

Kaiting Chen kaitocracy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:46:21 CET 2010

> Just so you know, a centralized VCS like svn or cvs can do the same thing.

How does one commit to a local repository using SVN?

Sure I suppose if the LDAP spontaneously configures itself and
> populates itself with data that is just great. I was talking about
> configuring LDAP, deploying LDAP, and populating it with data. That
> sucks. Ever type LDIF by hand? Fun.
>
> That's not very awesome to me. You can do the same thing with AUR's
> RPC... without the fugly, esoteric LDAP syntax and without prior
> knowledge of how the directory is structured:
>
> curl "http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php?type=info&arg=$pkgname"
>
> I don't think it would be worth the effort of the programmer to
> convert the AUR to use LDAP as a storage backend to get features we
> already have. However, using LDAP for a centralized
> authentication/authorization server for the sites in the archlinux.org
> domain? That would be sweet.

Personally I think that LDAP is much easier to set up and populate than SQL.
Also my LDAP query does not require an additional layer to translate HTTP ->
SQL -> JSON. Though I suppose since this infrastructure is already in place
this point is rather moot. --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/