[aur-general] About BURG packages

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Wed Nov 24 13:55:04 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 02:37:52PM +0200, H.Gökhan SARI wrote:
> Main burg package (which is burg-bzr,
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33382) is not orphaned and not
> updated since July 16, although package is flagged as out-of-date and a
> better PKGBUILD is suggested in comments. And I think it's nonsense adopting
> burg-themes (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=38066) due to it's
> containing themes only not working without main burg package.

If an AUR package is broken, you should always adhere to following
procedure:

* Tell the maintainer to fix the package using AUR comments or just send
  him a mail. I prefer AUR comments since they can be reviewed and
  discussed by others easily. You might also nopaste a patch and/or
  fixed PKGBUILD.

* Wait for the maintainer to fix the package.

* If he doesn't reply/react for some time, send him a mail asking him to
  update the package or orphan it if he doesn't want to maintain it
  anymore.

* If he doesn't reply to that mail for another week, send a mail to
  aur-general asking the TUs to disown the package.

* Never create duplicate packages with "-fixed", "-working", "-better"
  suffixes.

I think we should delete the "-fixed" packages and disown burg-bzr if
the maintainer doesn't want to maintain it anymore, so someone can adopt
and fix the packages with correct namings. I'll send x-demon a mail.