[aur-general] About BURG packages

Stefan Husmann stefan-husmann at t-online.de
Wed Nov 24 18:19:37 CET 2010

Am 24.11.2010 13:55, schrieb Lukas Fleischer:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 02:37:52PM +0200, H.Gökhan SARI wrote:
>> Main burg package (which is burg-bzr,
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33382) is not orphaned and not
>> updated since July 16, although package is flagged as out-of-date and a
>> better PKGBUILD is suggested in comments. And I think it's nonsense adopting
>> burg-themes (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=38066) due to it's
>> containing themes only not working without main burg package.
>
> If an AUR package is broken, you should always adhere to following
> procedure:
>
> * Tell the maintainer to fix the package using AUR comments or just send
>   him a mail. I prefer AUR comments since they can be reviewed and
>   discussed by others easily. You might also nopaste a patch and/or
>   fixed PKGBUILD.
>
> * Wait for the maintainer to fix the package.
>
> * If he doesn't reply/react for some time, send him a mail asking him to
>   update the package or orphan it if he doesn't want to maintain it
>   anymore.
>
> * If he doesn't reply to that mail for another week, send a mail to
>   aur-general asking the TUs to disown the package.
>
> * Never create duplicate packages with "-fixed", "-working", "-better"
>   suffixes.
>
> I think we should delete the "-fixed" packages and disown burg-bzr if
> the maintainer doesn't want to maintain it anymore, so someone can adopt
> and fix the packages with correct namings. I'll send x-demon a mail.

Hello,

basically Lukas is right with this procedure. But in this case there is a
forum thread since June in which the author of burg-bzr did not take part.
For me that is reason enough to think that he or she is gone. So I orphaned
burg-bzr. The others were already orphaned. The packageges named -fixed
will be deleted soon. I made some AUR comments and a forum post telling so.

Regards Stefan