[aur-general] Proposal: Mass AUR Cleanup

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 3 16:05:45 EDT 2010

On 4 October 2010 01:54, Jakob Gruber <jakob.gruber at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi TUs,
>
> I've just created a new proposal concerning the orphaning of all packages
> marked 'out of date' which have not been updated (or submitted) since before
> January 1st, 2009. For details, see the actual proposal text.
>
> The voting period ends on October 10th, please cast your votes!

Jakob, would it be possible for you to parse the e-mail address of the
current maintainer, and for each package send an e-mail? The template
could look like this:

"""
Subject: [AUR][$pkgname] Orphan candidate

Hi

Your package '$pkgname' [1] is a candidate to be orphaned, as per the
out-of-date and inactivity list generated recently [2]. If you do not
update '$pkgname' by the 10th of October 2010, it will be
automatically orphaned.

Refer to the AUR discussion [3] for more details, and participate
there if you would like '$pkgname' to be exempted, subject to a valid
reason.

[1] $pkgurl
[2] http://pastebin.com/GVPYcvLC
[3] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2010-September/010999.html
"""

I do not quite like the last paragraph, because it holds a very big
variable. Let's say half of their maintainers feel they have a "valid
reason", we would then have dozens of e-mail responses to read. But of
course, this is practically not the case. At least, it shouldn't be.