[aur-general] Proposal: Mass AUR Cleanup

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sun Oct 3 16:51:26 EDT 2010

On 10/03/10 16:05, Ray Rashif wrote:
> On 4 October 2010 01:54, Jakob Gruber<jakob.gruber at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   Hi TUs,
>>
>> I've just created a new proposal concerning the orphaning of all packages
>> marked 'out of date' which have not been updated (or submitted) since before
>> January 1st, 2009. For details, see the actual proposal text.
>>
>> The voting period ends on October 10th, please cast your votes!
>
> Jakob, would it be possible for you to parse the e-mail address of the
> current maintainer, and for each package send an e-mail? The template
> could look like this:
>
> """
> Subject: [AUR][$pkgname] Orphan candidate
>
> Hi
>
> Your package '$pkgname' [1] is a candidate to be orphaned, as per the
> out-of-date and inactivity list generated recently [2]. If you do not
> update '$pkgname' by the 10th of October 2010, it will be
> automatically orphaned.

maybe just something like, "If you wish to continue maintaining it and
are able to do so, please re-adopt and update it or state why this
cannot be done?"

...Orphaning generally isn't a very harmful act.

And/or we could go by the one-by-one orphaning principle of giving
maintainers a couple weeks to respond to email.  It's likely many of
these maintainers won't respond because they've been inactive on AUR for
a year and a half; and if they do respond, it's evidence that they're
active enough to warrant a not-so-automatic process perhaps?

(So the critical date of orphaning then should/would probably be later
than 10th October.)

-Isaac