[aur-general] How do I

Nathan O ndowens.aur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:44:06 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Nathan O <ndowens.aur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Sun, 5 Sep 2010 02:52:55 -0500
>> schrieb Nathan O <ndowens.aur at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > At this time, I am going through the
>> > ophaned packages and updating them to the latest versions and
>> > adopting packages(in my opinion this helps AUR out).
>>
>> And this is why I don't think you should become a TU. Your deletion
>> mania was a bit too big. You asked for package deletion obviously
>> without reading the PKGBUILDs and other files in the packages and
>> without comparing packages enough.
>>
>> If you send a removal request to the mailing list as a normal user
>> then a TU can first make sure if a package can indeed be removed, but
>> if you were a TU then you could remove those packages by yourself
>> without asking another TU first.
>>
>> So I don't think you should be a TU until you proof that you learned
>> reading PKGBUILDs and that you deal with packages not owned by yourself
>> trustworthily. I don't see this, yet.
>>
>> And I don't want my packages be removed from AUR just because you think
>> they can be removed because of a pointless reason. See again your
>> removal request for alevt and alevt-dvb. Packages are not the same just
>> because a part of the package names is identical.
>>
>> Heiko
>>
> I can understand your concern about deletion and I will work on that area.

Also I already knew that I wasn't ready to apply for a TU posistion yet. I
mainly meant by sponsor as more as somebody that I could go to, to see if I
did something correct or whatever. So don't concider my question as an
application, atleast just yet :)

I have two questions:

   1. Is it bad to adopt many packages to update them since they are
orphaned(since somebody didn't want the package(s) anymore), if so why?
   2. On the note of deciding which packages to request to delete:
               I should mainly look at the PKGBUILDS that enable certain
features than the other and does a package be concidered pretty much the
same if the package uses something like, for example,  ./configure
--disable-scrollkeeper or things like that

Thanks