[aur-general] Arch64

Nathan O ndowens.aur at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:11:51 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Nathan O <ndowens.aur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Nathan O <ndowens.aur at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> anything
>>>
>>> A chroot behaves like a normal system. You build packages in the chroot
>>> the
>>> same way you build packages on the normal system, i.e. by creating or
>>> copying
>>> PKGBUILD and then running makepkg in the same directory.
>>>
>>> I wasn't implying that the wiki article had a section that spelt it out
>>> explicitly or that everything you needed to know was in that article.
>>> What I
>>> meant was that you should read up on chroots in general because once
>>> you've
>>> generally understood them then the answer will become clear.
>>>
>>> I think I found a solution that seems to work for how I want it to.
>> First I used an empty /opt/arch32 dir. I copied makepkg.conf and pacman.conf
>> to /opt/arch32 and made sure they use i686. Then I did:
>>
>> sudo mkarchroot -C <pacman.conf> -M <makepkg.conf> <chrootdir>/root base base-devel sudo
>>
>> Now I can do makechrootpkg -r /aur -- -i and it creates the i686 package as well. Maybe we could offer this as an option under the wiki?
>>
>>  Sorry forgot to add, to change the options like mkarchroot -C
> /opt/arch32/pacman.conf and the other options.

I edited the "Install bundled 32-bit system" and added my tutorial on how to
build i686 packages at
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_bundled_32-bit_system_in_Arch64#Build_32-bit_packages_in_a_64-bit_environment

Feel free to edit it if it isn't easily understood, I tried to write it as
simple as I possibly could, though I am not a good at writing articles and
such.

Thanks,
P.S. I hope you think it is a good tutorial.