[aur-general] Mime Types

Jonathan Conder jonno.conder+arch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 02:30:33 EDT 2010

  On 22/09/10 13:11, Loui Chang wrote:
> On Wed 22 Sep 2010 01:20 +1200, Jonathan Conder wrote:
>> On an unrelated note, does anyone else have problems with the MIME
>> types on the AUR server? This is the header I get when downloading a
>> tarball:
>>
>> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:52:28 GMT
>> Server: lighttpd/1.4.28
>>
>> The MIME type for gzipped tarballs on my system is
>> application/x-compressed-tar. It's kinda annoying because Firefox
>> gets confused and decides it can't open the tarball. I might try to
>> fix it myself at some later stage, but I'm really snowed under at
>> the moment.
> Interesting. Where is that set on your system?
>
> This whole mime type thing is a bit of a mess eh?
> I guess it's kind of hard to rely on non-standard mime types.
> Is there some kind of auxiliary non IETF standard?
>
> You can find the mime types that Firefox uses in:
> /home/<username>/.mozilla/firefox/<profileid>/mimeTypes.rdf
>
> Cheers
It is set in /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml (belonging to
shared-mime-info), but maybe other places too. I would imagine
freedesktop.org would be the best candidate for an auxiliary standard.
But maybe I should just report this as a Firefox bug, since it prompts
me to open it with the right program, and only after it has finished
downloading does an error occur.

Jonathan