[aur-general] Orphaning request - chromium-beta and clamav-devel

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Sep 23 14:26:52 EDT 2010

Am Thu, 23 Sep 2010 20:55:19 +0300
schrieb Det <nimetonmaili at gmail.com>:

> You are missing the point here. What I was _not_ doing was bumping
> chromium-beta and asking everybody adopting it in the meantime to give
> the package back to me.

I'm not missing the point. It is exactly what I mean. I didn't say that
you're asking everybody adopting it, but you ask to orphaning it if
someone else already has adopted it because it was orphaned. You told
that you orphan it, so that someone else who wants to maintain the
package adopts it. Now someone else who wants to maintain it has
adopted it, and you ask for orphaning it again.

Either you adopt, maintain and keep it, if it's orphaned or just leave
it alone. You really can't send orphan requests every week just because
you are too impatient.

> What I _was_ doing was to bump it as soon as there is an update but
> keep the package orphaned until an active maintainer would choose to
> adopt the package so that my job would obviously not be needed -
> unlike in this case where the maintainer hasn't updated the package
> for 8 days (a long time for _me_ - no, I'm not saying it's a long time
> to your or anybody else) and I have reasons to believe that he will
> not be that fast in updating the package in the future either. This is
> now the third time I'm saying the same thing.

And "bumping" the package is the maintainer's job. So if you orphan it
you tell the people: "Please take it if you want." If someone else
takes it he usually wants to maintain it and does it. And if he doesn't
update it fast enough in your opinion then you should have kept the
package and should have maintained it by yourself. That's the point.

And the maintainer sometimes could have to do something else than just
updating the package every second day, just because you are too
impatient.

Otherwise I would suggest you to download the package to /var/abs/local
and maintain it by yourself locally on your system. Then you can update
it as often as possible.

> > And why is JerichoKru the maintainer and not you? And if you really
> > had adopted the package, updated it and orphaned it at once, why
> > are you now asking for orphaning this package again?
> Uh, so that it could be updated? So that it would keep on being
> updated?

And why did you orphan this package if you want to maintain it by
yourself after all?

Regularly updating a package is that which is called maintaining a
package. You have orphaned the package, so you don't want to maintain
it, so you don't want to regularly update the package, so live with it.
You had the chance to maintain it, because you didn't need to orphan
the package. It was your choice.

Like I said you can't send an orphan request every second day just
because you're impatient and the maintainer is not fast enough in your
opinion.

> Heiko, perhaps you need to start putting a thought when reading other
> people's writings.

Believe me, I already do that.

> This text here does _not_ mean "put every single
> PKGBUILD, patch and/or script in Pastebin" but rather "please do not
> bloat the comments section by pasting PKGBUILDs, patches and/or
> scripts in the _comments section_".

It means both. It says clearly to either using Pastebin or to send it
to the maintainer by e-mail.

> If you actually think that
> anything else than Pastebin shouldn't be used based on that comment
> then perhaps you could please leave this conversation here, as it is.

The problem is that it is not necessary to upload complete tarballs to
Rapidshare due to its nag screens. I wouldn't download and review such
a package if someone would send me such a link in my comments.

And you shouldn't always upload a new, updated package somewhere and
put the link to it to the AUR comments. You can assume that the
maintainer knows how to update his package.

> I've already told you why I want the package to be orphaned and if you
> just refuse to believe it should be done, then OK: that's your opinion
> and you've already made it clear.

You really should decide whether you want to maintain a package or not.
If you decide that you want to maintain a package then you should keep
it and not orphan it. If you decide that you don't want to maintain a
package then you should leave it alone. In the latter case you still
can flag a package as out-of-date. If the maintainer doesn't do it you
can of course send an orphan request, but not after 8 days and not
before you tried to contact the maintainer and wait at least two or
three weeks. He could be on holidays, in hospital or for other reasons
busy.

And you should only send an orphan request if you really want to
maintain a package and keep maintaining it.

Heiko