[aur-general] Orphaning request - chromium-beta and clamav-devel

Brad Fanella bradfanella at archlinux.us
Thu Sep 23 16:30:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Det <nimetonmaili at gmail.com> wrote:

> > And "bumping" the package is the maintainer's job. So if you orphan it
> > you tell the people: "Please take it if you want." If someone else
> > takes it he usually wants to maintain it and does it. And if he doesn't
> > update it fast enough in your opinion then you should have kept the
> > package and should have maintained it by yourself. That's the point.
> And it's a good point except for the part where this is the first time
> this thing happened. Of course, I'm not going to maintain the package
> as an actual _maintainer_ - so that doesn't really matter.

Please. There is obviously some sort of miscommunication between you two, so
arguing is redundant.

Now, to clarify: Bumping a package everytime there is a version is the
*definition* of maintaining a package. Please choose wisely. While I don't
mind orphaning an out of date package that you would like to maintain, these
constant orphan and deletion requests flooding my inbox are starting to get
on my nerves. To put it simply, please be patient with AUR package
maintainers. If they do not update in a few weeks, there is most likely a
good reason. Contact them, wait a couple more weeks, and if then they still
don't respond, send an email to aur-general. Besides, if you truly needed an
up-to-date package, modifying the PKGBUILD to fit the next release usually
isn't that difficult.

Now, if myself or any other TU is behind on a package, feel free to send
threatening, hate-filled emails to try and motivate us to do our job. :-)

Thanks,
Brad