[aur-general] Orphaning request - chromium-beta and clamav-devel

Brad Fanella bradfanella at archlinux.us
Thu Sep 23 17:34:50 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 05:54:51AM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 05:07, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> >> Now, to clarify: Bumping a package everytime there is a version is the
> >> *definition* of maintaining a package.
> >
> > Of course this is the definition of maintaining a package. But this
> > doesn't have to be done within 2 or 3 hours after upstream has released
> > a new version. And an orphan request shouldn't be sent 2 or 3 hours
> > after upstream has released the new version.
>
> That is _not_ the "definition" of "maintaining a package", it is
> "part" of the maintenance. Everyone has a life, and everyone has a
> choice. This is the bazaar.
>
> It is correct that rapid action is applauded, but it is not a
> requirement for ownership of a package. If anyone is unhappy with the
> frequency or time it takes for the owner to update her package(s), the
> concerned can either update the copy of the buildscripts locally and
> inform everyone else how to do it, or, request to orphan the package
> so she can help maintain instead and provide the rapid action which
> was previously lacking. Of course, that does not mean we would gladly
> comply with such a request.

I don't think what I'm saying here is being clearly understood. :-(

Updating a package each time there is a release *is* maintaining the package, only without the title of a "package maintainer". The point I am trying to bring across is that if you are going to be doing everything that a package maintainer does, then adopt the package so people can contact you correctly and such!

I'm sorry if it is a misunderstanding on my part, but I fail to see really any other aspect of being a package maintainer besides maintaining the package! (Except maybe the responsibility of maintaining it, but if you plan on updating it anyway, like Det wanted to, then that shouldn't matter)

Also, I doubt clicking the "Adopt" button  would affect your life in any way if you are already doing the dirty work of maintaining it!

Thanks,
Brad