[aur-general] Orphaning request - chromium-beta and clamav-devel

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Thu Sep 23 21:17:46 EDT 2010

Ray Rashif wrote:
> > I don't think what I'm saying here is being clearly understood. :-(
>
> Sorry, I missed the whole Det business. All in all, that kind of
> contribution (what Det appears to be doing) is not encouraged, but it
> _is_ somewhat of a contribution. From the way I see it, he's just a
> concerned party, preemptive about the fate of a particular package.
>
> But yes, he's definitely not maintaining any package if all he does is
> adopt, update, disown. He's just Robin Hood, or..

It's like feeding a stray cat. You might not want to or be able to adopt it and
take care of it full-time, but you don't want to let it starve to death either,
so you keep feeding it while hoping someone else will adopt it and take care of
it instead.

When someone finally does, you get upset when you notice that the cat isn't
being fed and that you can no longer feed it yourself because it's locked up
indoors, so you call [AR]SPCA (or PETA, if you're really upset).

The only unreasonable factor here is the impatience. If you camp outside the
new owner's house and start screaming about animal abuse as soon as the owner is
more than half an hour late, something's wrong.

Ok, I may have stretched that a little too far. Analogies aside, if the package
was that important to you and you were effectively maintaining it anyway, then
you should have just kept it until someone else offered to maintain it (or you
no longer could). Disowning a package generally nullifies your future bitching
rights regarding the maintenance of that package.

Btw, this is my new favorite quote:
> There's no miscommunication at least not on my side.

The sincerity makes it an instant classic. XD