[aur-general] Duplication: ocamlgraph

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Sep 27 05:51:31 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 23:12, Simon Legner <simon.legner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:38:46 +0200, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious as to why the dependency on findlib is undesirable.
>
> I didn't mean that. It's just that ocamlgraph-withoutfindlib has the
> simplest build()-code. According to the KISS principle I'd favour that one,
> if and only if it provides the same functionality (e.g. the META files you
> mentioned).

Ah, I was unclear in my wording, this question was actually directed
to the packager of ocamlgraph-withoutfindlib, more than to you.
Nevertheless it's good to know that you aren't opposed to using
findlib.

Yes, the PKGBUILD in ocamlgraph-withoutfindlib is slightly simpler,
but I don't think the one in ocaml-ocamlgraph is complex in any way.
There are good reasons for the extra stuff in my PKGBUILD:

- the patch is required in order to get findlib to install stuff in
the correct place
- it seems to be standard now to use both build() and package() for
packages where build and install are separate steps
- the longer lines for installing is again due to findlib

I did compile it yesterday, and noticed that the META files are *not*
built in ocamlgraph-withoutfindlib, so on that alone I would argue
ocaml-ocamlgraph is the way to go.

>> I've added a dependency on lablgtk2 to ocaml-ocamlgraph, so now they
>> match each other in dependencies.  Personally I think a dependency on
>> findlib is desirable so I think ocaml-ocamlgraph is the correctest one,
>> but I'm open to any counter arguments.
>
> I just wanted to find out the differences of files after building the three
> packages. But unfortunately none of them builds on my machine (x86_64) due
> to the following error:
>  File "dgraph/dGraphViewer.ml", line 26, characters 0-11:
>  Error: Unbound module Dgraph

Interesting and surprising, I just built both versions (with and
without findlib) yesterday, both successfully.  I'm building in a
chroot, on x86_64, so I'm very perplexed by your difficulties.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org