[aur-general] Merge of virtualbox_bin into virtualbox-bin

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Mon Aug 22 04:55:25 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 02:15:23PM +0530, KESHAV P.R. wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 14:10, Lukas Fleischer <archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:35:34AM +0200, Seblu wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Can you merge virtualbox_bin into virtualbox-bin ?
> >>
> >> The reason are those requested by josephgbr in
> >> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=9753
> >>
> >> <quote>
> >> The reason I'm asking this is that every time I update my packages
> >> with "yaourt -Syua", the package "virtualbox-ext-oracle" is listed
> >> first than this package ('-' come first than '_') and I always have to
> >> reinstall again after virtualbox_bin in order to work.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >> </quote>
> >
> > That reason is a bit ridiculous... Anyway, I renamed the package.
> > "virtualbox-bin" seems to be a better name.
> >

> I don't know if this has been discussed before, but along with moving
> votes and comments, how about moving notify lists of the old package
> to the new one, along with maybe a package comment in the old package
> mentioning that the old package has been renamed to new one (not
> manually by the user but automatically by the AUR software, before
> deleting the old one?

* Moving comment notifications sounds like a good idea.

* Not sure about the automatic comment on package deletion. Sending
  notifications on various events is a controversial issue, although I
  personally think that it might make sense here. I usually always add a
  comment before deleting a package to make sure users on the
  notification list are aware of the package being removed.

* This should be discussed on aur-dev, not on aur-general.