[aur-general] 2 recommendations needed for installing Arch Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 6 07:55:49 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: aur-general-bounces at archlinux.org on behalf of Thomas Bächler
Sent: Tue 12/6/2011 12:54
To: aur-general at archlinux.org
Subject: Re: [aur-general] 2 recommendations needed for installing Arch Linux

Am 06.12.2011 12:28, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Hi :)
>
> I'm new to the list.

Wrong list. You want arch-general.

---

Oops, off cause. Another accident :S.

---

> 1. What is a safe FS, that can be recovered? Ext4 seemingly isn't such a FS.

They barely exist. Maybe try btrfs, but btrfs is still considered
unstable by its developers.

You should rather do proper backups that you don't accidently delete.

---

In around 20 years this happened for the first time. Since around 9 years I'm using Linux, before that C64 and Atari ST + Intel hardware emu running DR Dos. For the C64 I tested such issues and was able to get all files back by using a disk monitor.
For the ext4 I directly remounted to read only.
I also did tests with dirs, subdirs and files, run rm, remounted to read only and no tool I tested was able to recover more than the parent dirs, even not for a test under optimal conditions.

At least the FS from the C64 was such a safe FS :D. Ok, hard disks are more complicated managed, than small floppy disks, anyway, I directly remounted to read only, the data can't be lost, it just seems to be hard to recover from ext4.

Reading the Internet ext3 should be better.

Anyway, sorry for the OT. I'll immediately will unsubscribe and subscribe to the correct list.

So any reply by this list needs to be sent off-list to me ;).

Cheers!

Ralf