[aur-general] 2 recommendations needed for installing Arch Linux

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 6 06:54:15 EST 2011

Am 06.12.2011 12:28, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Hi :)
>
> I'm new to the list.

Wrong list. You want arch-general.

> Sorry that my mail is formatted in HTML.

You're lucky you didn't get filtered. Apparently, we only strip the HTML
from the message instead of blocking it completely.

> I'll switch to Arch Linux because for my needs, audio productions, it could be easier to keep it stable than it is for other distros.

There was a blog post from some audio guy:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/arch-tale

Interesting read, he is very positive about Arch.

> I've got two questions.
>
> 1. What is a safe FS, that can be recovered? Ext4 seemingly isn't such a FS.

They barely exist. Maybe try btrfs, but btrfs is still considered
unstable by its developers.

You should rather do proper backups that you don't accidently delete.

> The FS also should be usable for audio productions.

What special properties does a file system need for audio production?

> Security regarding to multiple user usage, web access, server usage etc. are unimportant for a DAW.

You won't find a filesystem that doesn't have the basic access control
features.

> 2. For my main Linux I always prefer to use 64-bit architecture, but 32-bit architecture compatibility is needed. Is there something I should take care about when installing Arch Linux?

You can get 32 bit compatibility, but you need to install the required
libraries from the multilib repository. This repository is disabled by
default. For a list of available binary packages, see here:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?arch=x86_64&repo=Multilib&limit=all