[aur-general] [arch-general] Adding AUR packages to [community] packages' provides

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Sat Feb 26 04:56:15 EST 2011

On 26 February 2011 17:40, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 26/02/11 19:22, Ray Rashif wrote:
>
>> * Bump pkgrel OR force (I vote for force) for the first time (eg. so
>> users get the repo versions and not report bugs many days later while
>> still using the AUR package)
>
> Forces is crap (and dead in the future pacman-3.5).  Bumping the pkgrel
> should not be an issue given the package probably is frequently updated if
> it is worth bring to the repos, so it will have a pkgrel of 1 again soon.

Ahh right..force -> epoch.

There have been a few cases where the AUR package is pkgrel=n and the
repo is pkgrel=k, and the package on the system is not updated along
with the move because k=1 or k<=n. Then someone files a bug, which
later turns out to be applicable only to the AUR package. So here I
would start out with k=n+1, at least until we have a better way.