[aur-general] Ocaml Packages

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 13:46:40 EST 2011

I am looking at the state of the ArchLinux Ocaml packages. I am trying to
update a number of them and I am trying to build a number of ocaml
applications, but there are many incosistencies.

The main problem is that there are ocaml packages that build with findlib
and without findlib, and they place the development libs in different
places. Also I have found a few packages that install libs in the findlib
dir AND in the ocaml dir.

The two directories are :
findlib: /usr/lib/ocaml/site-lib
non-findlib: /usr/lib/ocaml

Other distributions with more developed ocaml support, such as fedora and
Debian/Ubuntu have chosen to use findlib for all packages and they all
install to the /usr/lib/ocaml dir.

So I am proposing for discussion, that we look into repairing the ocaml
packages to all use findlib and to install everything into /usr/lib/ocaml.
 Then we can have some peace on the ocaml front and we can do away with the
complications in the AUR with ocaml packages.

I have adopted the ocaml-findlib package and a number of them have been
orphaned, (which I am picking up) but I wanted to run this by the TUs and
other AUR devs before I really considered revamping the ocaml landscape in
the AUR.

-Thanks

-Thomas S Hatch