[aur-general] Ocaml Packages

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 15:27:49 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:

> On 2011-01-01 20:56 -0700 (00:6)
> Thomas S Hatch wrote:
>
> > I have updated ocaml-findlib and about 10 more ocaml packages with this
> > changes, I have also started to the spread the word on this move and I
> have
> > been met with positive responses.
> >
> > I have a simple OCaml Package guidelines page up on the wiki:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OCaml_Package_Guidelines
>
> I've made some changes to the page:
> * reworded "OCaml Library Locations" section for clarity and emphasis
> * added architecture recommendation to "Bytecode" section (I presume that
> if a
>  package does not produce bytecode then it should specify "any" as its
>  architecture.)
> * cleaned up the PKGBUILD
>    - added double quotation marks to all variables
>    - moved "ocaml" from makedepends to depends
>

> The latter might require some updates to existing PKGBUILDs.
>

> > This is already making PKGBUILDs for ocaml simpler and has repaired a
> number
> > of build issues in packages.
> >
> > I am going to talk to the upstream maintainers, but I think that all I
> will
> > be requesting is a name change on a few packages.
>
> ocaml-findlib will eventually need to be moved to [extra] by a dev if it is
> be required by all OCaml packages. I suggest that you contact the
> maintainer of
> the OCaml package about this as the two should logically be maintained
> together.
>

> > BTW, how far along should I be before I apply to be a TU?
>
> I can't believe that you top-posted for the first time when asking this
> question. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :P
>

> Regards,
> Xyne

Yes, I top posted, I need to fix that on my phone.

I changed the bytecode changes you made, maybe it will make more sense to
you now how ocaml bytecode works.

I added ocaml back to the makedepends, the ocaml package provides the
compiler.

OCaml should only be a dependency when the package includes bytecode, since
ocaml executables are %100 native machine code - this is an error in most
OCaml packages (I need to fix a number of mine)

Thanks for the PKGBUILD fixes and the change in the tone and detail on the
ocaml library locations section.

Oh, and BTW...
How far along should I be before I apply to be a TU? :)

-Thomas S Hatch