[aur-general] Audio plug-ins name convention

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Jan 4 10:24:28 EST 2011

Excerpts from Bernardo Barros's message of 2011-01-04 14:54:26 +0100:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm packaging some audio plug-ins and I wanted to know if there is any
> naming convention to this, as with fonts.
>
> Since there are different formats (LADSPA, LV2,  DSSI and VST), if we
> follow the convention used with fonts (like ttf-xxxxx), we will get:
>
>   lv2-xxxxx
>   dssi-xxxxx
>   ladspa-xxxxx
>   vst-xxxxx
>
> It makes sense?

I think there's no convention yet, but maybe an unspoken one: use the
plugin format in the description.

For ladspa and dssi it makes sense, but vst and lv2 is rather more
difficult. VST can mean at least two incompatible things,
windows and native VSTs.

With LV2 it's similar, given the extensible nature of the format.

So far I had no problems with the current 'convention' unless someone
didn't mention the format.