[aur-general] Audio plug-ins name convention

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 4 11:21:36 EST 2011

On 4 January 2011 21:54, Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm packaging some audio plug-ins and I wanted to know if there is any
> naming convention to this, as with fonts.

Nope.

> Since there are different formats (LADSPA, LV2,  DSSI and VST), if we
> follow the convention used with fonts (like ttf-xxxxx), we will get:
>
>  lv2-xxxxx
>  dssi-xxxxx
>  ladspa-xxxxx
>  vst-xxxxx
>
> It makes sense?

It makes sense, no doubt about that. Remember to also provide the
general name of the plugin. An example:

'lv2awesome' is a set of LV2 plug-ins. To fit in with the naming
convention, you can name it lv2-awesome, but have:

provides=('lv2awesome')

If that doesn't conflict with anything. Strip 'plugins' and the type
from the name (for the package, not the provision) and try to be as
short as possible, but still make sure people know what it is from one
glance. A real example:

inavada-studio-plugins -> ladspa-invada
  provides: 'invada-studio-plugins'
  groups: 'ladspa-plugins'
  desc: "A set of LADSPA audio effect plug-ins ported from VST by
Invada Records"

invada-studio-plugins-lv2 -> lv2-invada
  provides: 'invada-studio-plugins-lv2'
  groups: 'lv2-plugins'
  desc: "A set of LV2 audio effect plug-ins ported from VST by Invada Records"

For stuff that are apps by their own rights, like calf, skip the
convention. Strictly use the (proposed) convention for plugins-only
packages.

For VST, use the following:

linuxvst-*
win32vst-*

To be honest, conventions only "appear" when in use in the
repositories. We don't yet have that many plugins in extra/community
to warrant use of a convention.