[aur-general] Please delete ttf-ms-extrafonts

Joel Heaton jheaton at archlinux.us
Thu Jan 13 13:12:45 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:04 -0700, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> 2011/1/13 Christoph <chrdr at gmx.at>
> > > Indeed!
> > >
> > > Even more OT, wouldn't it be kinda cool if there was a mailing list or
> > > something where people could post simply with news of new packages? I
> > can't
> > > imagine it would be very high traffic, but it would be interesting to
> > read
> > > in order to try new software out.
> >
> > "AUR Home" tells me:
> > Packages added or updated in the past 7 days:   2804
> >
> > This makes an average of 400 per day, 16 per hour...
> > In my opinion that's too many...
> >
> > Cheers, Christoph
> >

> I thought that the community contributions was the place to post about new
> packages, thats where I put info about things like varch and libguestfs, but
> I agree, some sort of pipe to talk about the new packages would be a nice
> thing to have, while I recognize the scope of adoptions and package updates
> I still think it is worth consideration.
>
> -Tom Hatch

I agree. Furthermore, I don't think everyone who updates or releases a
package would make an announcement, so whilst it may be there are 16
submissions per-hour to the AUR, it's very unlikely that there would be
16 announcements per-hour on a mailing list created for the purpose of
making such announcements.

Of course, I'm not really in a position to say whether or not the
potential level of traffic is too great, but I would like to see such a
list implemented if it were at all possible.

Regards,

Joel.