[aur-general] Changing AUR development infrastructure.

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 21:43:52 EST 2011

On Mon 17 Jan 2011 09:40 +0800, Gergely Imreh wrote:
> I know I'm an outsider (no TU, only did a bit of AUR developement
> before), so I just have a question:
>
> On 17 January 2011 09:19, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here are the reasons I have for moving the repo:
> > * We don't need to create superfluous shell accounts on gerolde to
> >  for push access to those repos. Those accounts already exist on
> >  sigurd.
>
> If the issue is having to create extra shell accounts, could it be
> eliminated using gitolite/gitosis?  That would allow more fine-grained
> control over the permissions of the different projects (which would
> definitely come up if there are more projects hosted on the same
> server). E.g. push privileges could be granted to people without TU
> status when needed, or TUs can be kept off projects they are not
> taking part in.

Yes, that is possible, but that still leave much control over the repo
on a foreign server. gitolite/gitosis might be something that we could
look at implementing even on the community server for people without
shell accounts who we want to give access.

Actually not all TUs are able to push to the repo. Only those that have
been given admin access. There has even been a non-dev, non-TU that was
granted devel/admin access because of proven merit.

Currently, any admin/dev of the AUR will need special access to the git
repo on gerolde, and to the AUR hosted on sigurd. Since it's not very
likely that we would move the hosting back to gerolde it makes a lot of
sense to me to move the devel infrastructure to sigurd. So admins of the
AUR will only need an account on one server.

Admin access includes mysql, web server, and the filesystem, so it
definitely requires a shell account.