[aur-general] PCSX2 Plugins folder - suggestion?

Justin Davis jrcd83 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:04:11 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM, rafael ff1 <rafael.f.f1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm the maintainer of the package pcsx2-svn[1]. PCSX2 from now on will
> install files in a different folder than /opt/pcsx2 - I'm still going
> to adapt the PKGBUILD. Plugins, as I can see in Archlinux Packaging
> Standards [2], should go to /var/lib/pcsx2/PLUGINNAME.so... However,
> pcsx2 is a 32 bit package and only works in 64 bit because it uses
> lib32 packages.
>
> In my 64 bit system, I can see that the compilation of pcsx2 [gcc
> -m32, thanks to gcc-multilib] gives me ELF 32 bit plugins, which makes
> it a little bit weird to have it inside /var/lib/pcsx2 - which is a
> system's architecture folder. However, on 32 bit systems, there would
> be no problem putting plugins in /var/lib/pcsx2.
>
> Having that said, where should 32 and 64 bit compilations of PCSX2 put
> its plugins (talking about /varlib/pcsx2 and /var/lib32/pcsx2)?
>
> [1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21899
> [2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rafael

I think that you mean /usr/lib/pcsx2 instead of /var/lib/pcsx2. Since
plugins are just specialized dynamic libraries my gut feeling is they
belong under /usr/lib. On the Arch Packaging Standards page it also
says to use /usr/lib/pcsx2.

Using two different folders depending on the host architecture is
overly complicated. The advantage of a "lib32" directory name is to
separate lib32 dynamic libs from 64-bit dynamic libs right? There's no
need to separate plugins if there is no chance of them getting
accidentally used. They cannot be passively used but must be actively
sought out in the predefined location. I don't use multilib so I may
be wrong.

--
-Justin