[aur-general] Aurphan in community

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Fri May 6 10:01:44 EDT 2011

On 6 May 2011 21:13, keenerd <keenerd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/11, Ray Rashif <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Let me just confirm this: it is the first of its kind, in that it
>> "communicates" with the AUR. There is no other tool in the repos that
>> makes a connection to the AUR, right?
>
> Well that depends.  Do you count community/arch-firefox-search, which
> does a full search of the AUR?  (On an unrelated note, why is
> searching the AUR in a GUI officially supported but searching it from
> the CLI a mortal sin?)

Yes, I'd count that.

Now, on the unrelated note: the search engine is for a web browser,
and is in line with the AUR web interface. This interaction with the
AUR is "indirect". That is why it is _not_ on a grey area.

A tool searching from the CLI (with which one has "direct" access), is
on a grey area. That is IMO; no consensus has been reached with
regards to whether searching can be accepted/supported (officially) -
only discussions.

> Aurphan does not search the AUR, it organizes info about the AUR
> packages you already have installed.  It does not imply AUR packages
> are supported, it asks you to volunteer support for them.

Yes, it initiates a connection to the AUR, that is all. I have nothing
against this myself, so +1.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10