[aur-general] optional dependencies that require explicit installation

Michael Schubert mschu.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 17 06:14:43 EDT 2011

2011/5/17 Ray Rashif <schiv at archlinux.org>

> That's the way it's done. You have those optdeps as makedeps so you
> can finish building the package.

Sorry if I was a bit unclear earlier. The make process does not need all
binding languages as dependencies as cmake and configure take care of
preventing those from being built. So the make works fine with no optional
dependencies installed.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I should:
- make a base package with C/C++ bindings only (as they are mandatory)
- an additional package per binding that the user may want to install
- listing the additional packages as optional dependencies from the base one
- listing the binding language of each additional package as mandatory
dependency there

Thus, if I would like to install the package with 2 additional bindings it
will be downloaded and build 3 times in order to get 1 functional
installation:
- the base package
- the base package + binding x (2 times)

Thanks.