[aur-general] TU Application - Massimiliano Torromeo

Massimiliano Torromeo massimiliano.torromeo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 12:37:46 EDT 2011

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
>> Please don't do this. provides and conflicts, yes, but there's no
>> reason this should be forced as an upgrade path for mysql users. Using
>> replaces here is just as good as killing it off entirely. Users still
>> have a choice -- don't take it away from them.

Replaces would cause problems, since it will try to force the package
over the standard mysql. But provides+conflicts will still allow the
final user to choose which one to install.

Just take a look at the percona-server package [1], I have it in my
own repository and I still install mysql on some servers and percona
on others, no problems at all.

[1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pe/percona-server/PKGBUILD