[aur-general] Replacing nexuiz with xonotic

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Oct 21 11:43:57 EDT 2011

Am 21.10.2011 15:57, schrieb Sergej Pupykin:
> At Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:43:12 -0300,
> Ángel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> And..  Sergej, please try to focus on the problem that brings having
>> huge packages and add the fact if those huge packages won't be
>> demanded it will be a waste of space + mirror bandwidth.
>>

> Is it really problem? I have no info about disk space and
> bandwitdth problems.
>
> If yes, we should define what does "huge" means. And should we apply
> "huge" criteria only to games?

Resources are always limited. There are disk space constraints on
sigurd (which holds the AUR and community repo). You may add about 5 to
10GB packages here. And don't forget that you also have to host the
sources for e.g. GPL packages. Bandwidth for our main server is also
very limited. But if those big packages don't get updated to often this
is acceptable.

Let's also not forget about our mirrors who will have to handle the
increasing needs for disk space and especially bandwidth and traffic.
Especially for those countries where these resources are not cheap. E.g.
we were told that mirrors in South Amercia dropped Arch for these
reasons.

Long story short: I would ask the TUs to use their resources more
responsible. Of course we can talk about increasing disk space etc. if
really needed but this wont help for long if everybody thinks there were
no limitations. Maybe it would be wise to decide on an upper bound for
the community repo size and to operate within this limitation.

But this should be handled within the TU group; I just wanted to make
aware of a potential problem.

Greetings,

Pierre