[aur-general] virtualbox wiki page

Ionut Biru ibiru at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 26 12:37:48 EDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 07:27 PM, Ike Devolder wrote:
> Op 25-10-11 22:47, Ionut Biru schreef:
>> Hi,
>>
>> with the linux 3.1 package we took another approach about handling
>> external modules. Because of that, i want to add back the old
>> virtualbox-modules package that includes the host modules.
>>
>> Now comes the tricky part.
>>
>> I want to replace all the post_install/upgrade messages that we have
>> now in virtualbox and guest additions for arch and replace them with a
>> wiki link. The wiki is a total mess and includes details that doesn't
>> matter for virtualbox on arch.
>>
>> Help me to clear the wiki a bit before adding the link to the package.
>>
>> My idea is to have in virtualbox wiki page this:
>>
>> 1) how to install it
>> 2) what modules to add in rc.conf and a short description of modules
>> functionality
>> 3) how to run it
>> 4) how to run guest additions on arch(as a section rather than a new
>> page like is it now)
>>
>> That's it. I don't care about sharing functionality, tips and tricks
>> for openbsd. Just plain arch functionality.
>>

> Hi, adding to the discussion:
>
> would you not name it
> - virtualbox-host-modules (now virtualbox-modules)
> - virtualbox-guest-modules (now virtualbox-archlinux-modules)

i really don't want to rename again the modules, especially the second one.

pass to that

> for the wiki, is it appropriate to change the current virtualbox page or
> will you create another

the current, cleaned up and only having relevant information.

> and might it not be easier if you had 2 main items:
> 1) virtualbox host
> 1) how to install
> 2) modules in rc.conf, systemd stuff
> 3) usage

don't care about systemd. only stock.

> 2) archlinux virtualbox guest
> 1) how to install
> 2) modules in rc.conf, systemd
> 3) usage

you can copy
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_VirtualBox_Guest

to VirtualBox page into a new section

> if you might create a new virtualbox page, i'm willing to help, just let
> the candidates for helping know which sections to fill.
>
> - Ike (BlackEagle)

What i want is to have a page describing how to run virtualbox on
archlinux, as a host and as a guest(for additions)

A short descriptions of our packages at the beginning, what to install
when running as host and as a guest.

packages:
1) virtualbox
2) virtualbox-modules
3) virtualbox-addtions
4) virtualbox-source
5) virtualbox-sdk
6) virtualbox-archlinux-additions
7) virtualbox-archlinux-modules

Install 1,2,3 to run as host add x,y,z modules to rc.conf(descriptions
for modules), 4 if you run a custom kernel(run vboxbuild to compile
modules), 5 nobody cares, 6,7 in a guest arch linux system, a,b,c
modules in rc.conf (see the above link for additions that i pasted)

--
Ionuț