[aur-general] TU application
archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Fri Oct 28 04:36:29 EDT 2011
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 09:17:23AM +0100, Peter Lewis wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
> Thanks for your interest. I don't personally think it's a problem that you don't
> currently have a sponsor, since I think people should be able to solicit to the
> list if they would like to apply, rather than being required to ask people
> off-list. Obviously the discussion period and voting can't happen until a
> sponsor indicates though.
> How long have you been maintaining your AUR packages for? While you've been
> using Arch for a while, I wonder whether it would be good for you to have a
> few more AUR packages before becoming a TU. Others may think differently though.
> Either way, it's good to have you involved.
Agreed. I don't think a small number of packages are a no-go right away.
However, it's hard for us to judge your skills if you never sent any
mail to the mailing lists, maintain no more than five packages and don't
have a sponsor who might promote you...
Looking at what we have, I have a few suggestions, also:
* Do not use "$startdir".
* Always try to quote "$srcdir" and "$pkgdir". They might potentially
* Do not use "|| return 1" anymore (except for a few corner cases).
* Try to split build() into separate build() and package() functions
* Use install(1) instead of mkdir(1) and cp(1).
* Strip unused variables, such as "groups=()", "provides=()", etc.
More information about the aur-general