[aur-general] install instead of mkdir and cp, was: Re: TU application

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sat Oct 29 11:20:57 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 04:13:18PM +0200, Christoph wrote:
> Out of curiosity:
>
> > * Use install(1) instead of mkdir(1) and cp(1).
>
> Why? I find the install command sometimes a bit uncomfortable, especially if
> you have to copy a hierarchy of directories (and their content). What is the
> advantage of install over mkdir and cp? Is there a solution for reversively
> copying directories using install?

install(1) allows you to create directory hierarchies (both "-d" and
"-D" create all components of the specified directories), copy files and
set permissions with a single command. There are a few other reasons for
using install(1), e.g. in Makefiles [1]. In regard to packaging,
convenience and consistency seem to be the most important points to me.

[1] http://en.chys.info/2009/05/install-vs-cp-and-mmap/