[aur-general] Putting mariadb into community

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 03:05:36 EDT 2011

2011/9/28 Ángel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.org>

> 2011/9/28 Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Due to Oracle's recent and absolutely unforeseeable new plans with MySQL,
> I thought it might be a good opportunity to put mariadb into community for
> those that depend on MySQL. Mariadb is designed to be a drop-in replacement
> for MySQL and as such I wondered whether it would make sense if mariadb
> replaced MySQL. Mariadb also conflicts with MySQL files which at least
> necessitates installing them to an alternative path.
> >
> > I'm willing to maintain mariadb in community.
> >
> > I'd like opinions on this.
>
> I agree even bringing other forks of mysql to community, my unique
> concern is, how qualified do you feel to maintain them? I hope you're
> not bringing mariadb just because oracle, else because you feel a
> master (relatively speaking) with mariadb.
>
> That said, if you feel you're qualified, i don't have any concern to
> have mariadb in community under your responsability.
>

> > -- Sven-Hendrik
> >

> --
> Angel Velásquez
> angvp @ irc.freenode.net
> Arch Linux Developer / Trusted User
> Linux Counter: #359909
> http://www.angvp.com

Why you should introduce mariadb but not drop mysql:

- mariadb has nicer debug stuff
- mariadb has some small performance improvements for charset conversions
- mariadb should have (i cannot confirm myself) better and more stable
replication (less replication breakage than mysql (my experience is with
mysql 5.1 <-> mariadb 5.1, i cant speak for newer versions)

- and last but not least, mariadb has a more open development and is not
tied by any vendor (might be an advantage)

for more info http://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-versus-mysql-features

-- Ike