[aur-general] Putting mariadb into community

Ángel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 28 02:51:41 EDT 2011

2011/9/28 Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Due to Oracle's recent and absolutely unforeseeable new plans with MySQL, I thought it might be a good opportunity to put mariadb into community for those that depend on MySQL. Mariadb is designed to be a drop-in replacement for MySQL and as such I wondered whether it would make sense if mariadb replaced MySQL. Mariadb also conflicts with MySQL files which at least necessitates installing them to an alternative path.
>
> I'm willing to maintain mariadb in community.
>
> I'd like opinions on this.

I agree even bringing other forks of mysql to community, my unique
concern is, how qualified do you feel to maintain them? I hope you're
not bringing mariadb just because oracle, else because you feel a
master (relatively speaking) with mariadb.

That said, if you feel you're qualified, i don't have any concern to
have mariadb in community under your responsability.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net