[aur-general] Putting mariadb into community

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 02:36:43 EDT 2011

2011/9/28 Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>

> Hi,
>
> Due to Oracle's recent and absolutely unforeseeable new plans with MySQL, I
> thought it might be a good opportunity to put mariadb into community for
> those that depend on MySQL. Mariadb is designed to be a drop-in replacement
> for MySQL and as such I wondered whether it would make sense if mariadb
> replaced MySQL. Mariadb also conflicts with MySQL files which at least
> necessitates installing them to an alternative path.
>
> I'm willing to maintain mariadb in community.
>
> I'd like opinions on this.
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

This would be super. (thx if you make this come in to community)

In my opinion it would be no problem that mysql and mariadb conflict, most
of the people use innodb or myisam as data engine and both support those
flawlessly.
If you are in a case where you use an exotic data engine, you probably know
which one of the two supports it or if it is supported in both mysql and
mariadb.

And my guess is if there are severe "drop-in" issues the mariadb developers
might be a lot faster fixing issues than mysql is at the moment.

-- Ike