[aur-general] Non-Free font packages

George Brooke george at george-brooke.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 11:44:52 EDT 2012

Hi,
Today I noticed the following packages on the AUR, osx-lion-fonts [1] and
win7-fonts [2].
Both of these packages download the fonts from an FTP server which appears to
be operated by the maintainer, not from any kind of official source and although
they both specify "Custom" as the license neither of them install a license
file (or show any indication that the maintainer has permission to redistribute
the files).
To me, this gives the appearance that the archives linked to are probably
copyright infringing.
As I understand it, PKGBUILDs which link to infringing sources are generally
frowned upon which is why others for Win7 fonts (for example) require the user
to manually acquire and copy the font files.

Could a TU and/or the maintainer (who is CCed in) investigate and clarify the
situation.

Thanks

GeorgeB