[aur-general] Question file conflict on a new package I took over

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:46:16 EST 2012

I just recently took over a package[1], and some people are having
troubles updating due to file system conflict.
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files) uuid:
/usr/lib/libuuid.a exists in filesystem uuid: /usr/lib/libuuid.so exists
in filesystem uuid: /usr/lib/pkgconfig/uuid.pc exists in filesystem
uuid: /usr/share/man/man3/uuid.3.gz exists in filesystem Errors
occurred, no packages were upgraded.

What is the actual proper way to handle a conflict like this? As a temp
workaround I found that if I removed the package and then deleted those
files left behind I can get it to install and all seems kosher after.
But that is a ugly workaround.

Would the correct way be to use a .install file and then a pre_install
hook to get rid of them?

Thanks a bunch for any help or tips here.

[1]uuid <https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/uuid/>